My Free Newborn Crochet Beanie Pattern

I have been crocheting my heart out these past couple of weeks. I prefer to crochet as it is so much easier and faster than knitting. So I have decided to share my free newborn crochet beanie pattern here on the blog.

I finished my blanket so I decided to try my hand at some beanies. I had a go @ 4 different patterns that I found free on the internet. They all turned out ok but they were either too big, too small or too short for what I think should fit an average size newborn.

So I have come up with my own pattern as I was too cheap to buy one. It’s very simple so beginners like me should be able to follow it.

Firstly i used the Panda super soft 8ply baby wool from Spotlight. I tried a couple of beanies with the super soft 4 ply but it was too thin for my clumsy chubby preggo sausage fingers.

I use a 4.5mm hook

Newborn Pattern
My Mum taught me the chain stitch and double crochet the rest I have learnt myself from YouTube videos. One lady, Teresa is awesome! all the stitches you need for this pattern she has video tutorials on her website Art of Crochet by Teresa, she even goes in slow motion for those of us who take a few times to get it right.

• To begin Chain (Ch) 4
  • Round 1: 15 Double Crochets (DC) in 4th Chain from the hook, slip stitch (sl st) in top of beginning chain : 15 DC
  • Round 2: Ch 3, two DC in each DC around, sl st in top of beg ch: 30 DC
  • Round 3: Ch 3, (2DC in next DC, 1 DC in next DC) continue around, sl st in top of beg ch: 45 DC
  • Round 4-10: Ch 3, DC in each DC around, sl st in top of beg ch: 45 DC
  • Round 11: see ‘Finishing off’ below

*Please note this pattern is written in US crochet terms*

Here is a handy conversion chart if you are in Oz or the UK

Round 1-11 Newborn crochet beanie

Round 1-10 + extra row of Round 10

Note: If you are doing this for a smaller baby 3kg or less and wish to make it a little smaller then for Round 1 work 12 DC  instead of 15 and continue from there.

It’s not a perfect pattern but it’s super easy to do and looks great when finished.

Feel free to share it if you wish, please link back to my blog.
Finishing off

• Round 11: Ch 1, Single Crochet (sc) in ch 1 space, skip 1 st, 6DC in next st (skip 1 stitch, 6 DC in next stitch, skip 1 stitch, sc in next stitch) continue around to complete shell stitch edging.
  • When you come to the end you won’t have enough stitches left to complete a full shell. You can either squeeze an extra shell in by not skipping the stitches, or skip the couple of stitches that are left and join by slip st to next shell. I squeeze the extra shell in to total 12 shells.
  • I think this is a unisex pattern but if you do not want to finish off with the shell stitching just do an extra row of Round 10

Embellishments
You can add your own embellishments to complete your beanie or leave plain

• Hearts – from Little Birdie Secrets – video tutorial (Ch 4, work 3 Triple Crochet (TC) in 4th Ch from hook, 3 DC, Ch 1, 1 TC, Ch 1, 3 DC, 3 TC, Ch 3, Slip stitch into centre of heart) Fasten off to finish.
    • Flowers – from Little Birdie Secrets – video tutorial (Round 1, Ch 5 join into a ring with a slip st in first ch), (Round 2 Ch 3, work 9 DC in centre of ring, join to top of ch with slip st: should have 10 stitches) (Round 3, Ch 2, work 3 DC in next st, slip st in next st, repeat 5 times) Fasten off and finish with a button in the centre if you wish.

• Circles –  Rounds 1-2 of my above newborn beanie pattern, add Round 3 if you want a bigger circle, Fasten off, finish with button in the centre.

Have fun crocheting!

P.S The beanies pictured I have made for gifts so far (except the plain white one) so no clues to Baby G’s gender !! Sorry

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Hi Sarah,
    Am i supposed to slip stitch at the end of each round? If I don’t, I end up with holes between the end of the row and the chain 3. New to crocheting so hope that makes sense. Thanks. :)

2. says

Hi there, yes always sl st (slip stitch) into the top of beginning chain (ch3), before you go on to your next row. I hope that makes more sense!

3. says

Tried this today I made mine with a 5.0mm hook because I could not find my 4.5. I also changed something, row 9 I chained 4 (instead of 3) then 2 triple crochets in every other DC from previous row, this allowed me room to weave a ribbon through. Then I finished up with one more row of DC and one row of SC for thee final row.
    So…
    Row 9– ch 4, TC back into st, sk st, 2 TC in next st, repeat around, sl st to top of ch 4

4. says

I started to teach myself to crochet on the weekend using YouTube videos and had a crack at your pattern today. Just wanted to clarify, your DC stitches are American not English DC’s?

5. says

6. Anonymous says

Hi,

I’m a beginner and a bit confused about round 1. Do you slip stitch into the first chain and then do the 15 DC’s into the middle of the circle? I don’t understand the instruction to put 15 DC’s into the 4th chain. How do you create the initial circle? Sorry. I’m just learning and would appreciate a bit of advice.

Cheers

Jo

• says

Hi Jo the 15 DC in the 4th chain actually creates the circle when you end it with the slip stitch. I know it sounds terribly confusing! But if you have a go you will see what I mean. Sarah x

7. Anonymous says

I was wondering if you have a video attached somewhere with this. I can get the 15 DC no problem, it’s the after. I’m a big beginner and have a little issue reading patterns it seems. Your instructions are easy to follow, I’m just a little confused.
    Thank you.

8. Anonymous says

Thanks for this pattern! I used it today to make two hats for my sister-in-law who is having twins.
    I did tweak a few things though, I used a magic ring at the start which made a much tidier/smaller hole. I also used a 4ply super soft baby wool and instead of DC i used HDC and just increased the amount of rows. And I used a different colour for the shell row and they turned out great!

9. Anonymous says

I have used a 3.5 hook and 8 ply and happy with it but i wonder if someone could tell what the depth of this beanie is because I wonder if it’s going to fit. Twins due next week.